Sunday 19 August 2012

Challenge Week 46: Inspired by Artwork!

And the award for latest ever 52 week challenge post goes to...

Yep, I'm SO sorry I've been AWOL again for so long- it's been busier than I expected in the past couple of weeks; I've had family visiting, overtime at work and, a lot of paperwork to do for Brownies. Hope you've not missed me too much- I've missed you! And welcome to my new gfc followers (129 is a lot of people- thank you!!!)

Anyway, back to the challenge- this weeks theme is is inspired by artwork. I have to say I'm not the biggest art lover- I like to look at pretty things, and I find art galleries interesting, but ask me to name a famous painter and I'll most likely draw a total blank...

I thought about doing Van Gogh nails, because that IS an artist that I like (particularly after that Doctor Who episode- I could have done the exploding TARDIS painting!), but I thought I'd probably have more luck doing a simple design (artistic, I am not) and after a while Mondrian popped into my mind. He is famous for painting pretty simple compositions with black lines on a white background, filled in with only the three primary colours. Like this:


Peit Mondrian's Composition II in Red, Blue and Yellow

So naturally I started off with a white base of Models Own Snow White, and added the black lines with my black LA Colours striper pen. Once that had properly dried I used three acrylic paints in Lemon Yellow, Crimson Red and Cobolt Blue- the closest to primary colours I have- to fill in random sections.










I really really like the way they turned out, in fact this is one of my all time favourites :) It was fun, it looks awesome (if I can say so myself) and it was actually rather easy!


LA Colours Art Deco Liner, Models Own Snow White and
Henkel & Watermann acrylics in Lemon Yellow, Crimson Red and Cobalt Blue.
 And as an added bonus for me, one of my friends (who studied art at uni) actually recognised them as Mondrian! I'm happy, and it was worth waiting until Friday for me to finally get the inspiration.

Next weeks theme is animal print, so I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something a lot sooner!!!


What kind of art inspires you?



                                                                                                                 xGretalRabbitx

4 comments:

  1. im so going to have to try this! It is easily recognisable! I did mine but not posted it yet. I made the bday fudge you wrote about. Thank you, my sister loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must- it's pretty easy and fun (many possibilities with colours too!) Ooh did you, thats awesome! Glad you liked it :)
      xGretalRabbitx

      Delete
  2. This looks really good, did you water down your acrylics before using them or just go with them as they are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) No I just used them as they are- they are quite thick but I quite like how much control I have with it.
      xGretalRabbitx

      Delete

Leave me a comment- it really does make my day! :)