Tuesday 6 December 2011

Perfume smell-a-likes! (gift ideas?)

As you've probably noticed- thanks to the excess of adverts everywhere at the moment (I'm getting a little bored of them to be honest)- perfumes are common Christmas gifts, and there are literally hundreds to choose from! I was perusing the beauty aisles in M&S today (I went on a 'Christmas shopping' trip and ended up buying myself more things than I got for other people- but that's a whole other post!) and couldn't resist sniffing lots of their perfumes (I get carried away...). I noticed that a lot of them smelled rather familiar- and after popping into Boots and sniffing some more perfumes, then getting home and scouring the internet I realised I'm not the only one. It seems M&S have taken some heavy inspiration from popular perfume brands to design their fragrances- some of the bottles even look similar!

Some examples:

M&S True Red and Hugo Boss Deep Red...

M&S True Red EDT
Hugo Boss Deep Red EDP


Both of these fragrances (which have very similar packaging) have fruity/citrusy top notes, middle notes of jasmine and musky base notes- they may not be identical but they are a reasonable dupe.


M&S Isis woman and Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey...

M&S Isis EDT

Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey EDP

Again, similar bottles and very similar scents- fresh, clean and lightly floral.



M&S Butterfly and DKNY Be Delicious...

M&S Butterfly EDT
Marc Jacobs Daisy EDP

DKNY Be Delicious EDP

It doesn't take a genius to work out the=at Butterfly's bottle is super-similar to Daisy, but as much as the scents are similar, Butterfly has a lot of fruity notes which make it rather similar to Be Delicious too- either way this is another lovely scent- fruity/citrusy and light.

There a a few more that others have noticed, but I haven't scent tested them myself, including:
M&S Sensuale/ Chanel Allure
And of course Lidl's Suddenly/ Chanel Coco Mademoiselle

Now I don't know if any of these perfumes are absolute dupes- but they do all smell lovely and pretty similar to much more expensive perfumes, so if you're stuck for ideas for pressies M&S perfumes are well worth a sniff.

The perfumes are available from (larger) M&S stores- and on their website, and there is a great range of sizes- starting with tiny 10ml purse sprays at £3.50, and 100ml bottles, and gift sets for £15-  so they are already rather budget friendly... AND the whole range is buy one get one half off! I rather like the idea of getting a selection of purse sized sprays as a gift, like a selection box of perfume :)


Do you know of any cheaper perfume alternatives? Let me know!


                                                                                           xGretalRabbitx


p.s. I've added a twitter button!- it took me aaages to work out how to do it this morning, brain was not in gear....

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the comparisons! It's funny when you see ones that seem to be such obvious ripoffs of others! Grats on the twitter button!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, at least in this case they all smell nice too! Sometimes I think look-a-likes try to sell on the bottle alone, they smell rank!

    Thanks, I spent ages trying to sort it out- turns out it actually was super-easy!- silly me :)

    xGretalRabbitx

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment- it really does make my day! :)