Monday 5 September 2011

Welsh cakes!

I haven't baked anything in a long time (approximately a week and a half...) and as my dad and sister just got back from a holiday in Wales, my sister was desperate to try homemade welsh cakes (but naturally could not stop playing Harry Potter PS2 games to actually help!)

They remind me of a cross between pancakes and scones- rather odd really, but very delicious :) They are very very easy to make- I've never even eaten one before and I managed OK (they have the sister seal of approval too!)

Like most recipes I find online it's a bit of a mish-mash of several recipes, but it seems to work well for me, so here you are!


You will need: (for approx 12 cakes)

250g self raising flour
75g salted butter
75g caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon of mixed spice
1 egg
milk (a little, if needed)
75g currents






1) Rub together the flour and butter (get your hands in a combine it with the tips of your fingers- I rather enjoy doing this!) You'll end up with a kind or breadcrumby texture.




2) Add the caster sugar, mixed spice and stir in.
3) Mix in the egg to form a thick paste/dough- you might need to add a little milk to get the right consistency. Add the currents and makes sure they are evenly distributed.




4) Roll it out (on a lightly floured surface) to approximately 1cm thick- actual thickness is probably less important than rolling it evenly- and cut out circles.




5) Fry in a little butter- approximately 3/4 minutes on each side- until golden brown and cooked through.




6) Leave to cool, and sprinkle with a little caster sugar. 




7) Enjoy! I like mine covered in jam, my sister is a fan of honey- you could probably add lots of different toppings- anyway, they're yum!


Please let me know if you make this, or any of the recipes I post- I'd love to hear how you get on! :)


                                                                                                   xGretalRabbitx

4 comments:

  1. I need to make myself some Welsh Cakes sometimes soon.
    My friend makes the most amazing Welsh cakes ever! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're REALLy easy- give them a try! Can't guarantee they'll be as good as your friends though (is her recipe different?)
    xGretalRabbitx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh they look nice they would go down well with a nice cuppa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nina don't encourage me to eat them all! There's only a few left as it is- oops!
    xGretalRabbitx

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment- it really does make my day! :)